A drug user has been taken to hospital with an anthrax infection after injecting a suspected contaminated batch of heroin.
The case in Oxford follows the deaths of two people who injected drugs from an anthrax-infected batch in Blackpool in August and September.
The Health Protection Agency (HPA) said it was the 12th confirmed case in Europe since early June, after one case in Wales, one in Scotland, four in Germany, two in Denmark and one in France. It is unclear whether the cases are linked.
It is suspected that the heroin was contaminated with anthrax spores, which can survive in the environment for decades.
This year’s cases follow an outbreak in 2009 and 2010, which involved 119 cases in Scotland, five in England and two in Germany.
The bacterial infection can be treated with antibiotics if caught early.
Dr Eamonn O’Moore, director of the HPA’s Thames Valley Health Protection Unit, said: “In light of this recent case in Oxford, we have advised local drug and alcohol action teams to talk to their service users who inject drugs about the risk of anthrax infection.”
“They should seek medical advice quickly in such circumstances generally but particularly now because we have concerns that some batches of heroin in circulation in Oxfordshire and the wider Thames valley may be contaminated with anthrax.”
From The Guardian
Announcing Wired In Classified. We are pleased to announce a new section on the website for services, treatment providers, commissioners and recovery organisations seeking to recruit from, or advertise tenders to the Recovery Community.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to place an advert on Wired In to Recovery.